Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Not so magical after all..

Sorry, Please and Thank you are said to be the 3 most magical words. But are they really?

Lets start with the most commonly used "magical" word - Thank you.
This word is used so often that the magic seems to have worn out over time, rendering one of the most touching words to a mere formality. A phrase now used to just acknowledge the good deed / action without being visibly grateful or touched. Have you been honestly thanked lately for anything good that you have done? Atleast in the corporate world, I have seen it's usage a couple of times .......as a part of the signature. 
I wish this dying word a speedy and much needed recovery.


Now, the next "magical" word - Please, seems to have contracted a similar disease.
As kids, we were told that the word is used whenever you want something from anyone. But today, try asking people for its meaning. Pat comes the reply, "Please is used when you need some favor from your seniors." Is it really? This distorts the whole understanding we had as kids, complicating a simple word with complex senior-subordinate relationships.

The last and the most powerful "magical" word - Sorry
Myth - Sorry, can heal wounds.
Truth - Maybe, but leaves a dirty dark scar for you to remember.

Myth - Saying sorry, doesn't make one small
Truth - Saying sorry makes you feel very inferior and low. I said sorry when I didn't do anything wrong, and trust me folks, this made me feel so inferior and downright humiliated.

Myth - Sorry can fill the cracks in relationships.
Truth - Sorry, can only hide the cracks at a superficial level just like how plaster hides the cracks in the walls.

I have been at my cynical best since 2 days. To vent it all out, I chose to blog about the negative thoughts rather than let it grow within me. But looks like, in reality I am just feeding myself more negative thoughts. :(

Promise to blog something bright and happy in my next post.

No comments: